The University of New England Center for Excellence in the Neurosciences invites applications for a postdoctoral research associate position. We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic scientist to study the intracellular mechanisms of neural plasticity. Successful applicants will report to Dr. Harrison at the Center for Excellence in Neuroscience at the University of New England in Maine. Postdocs will be expected to present work at international meetings, will require a mind-set for collaborative research and will be encouraged to develop an independent research program.
- Nextgen sequencing and genomics
- RNA-protein interactions
- In vivo models of peripheral axon plasticity
- Advanced microscopy techniques (2-photon, confocal, live-imaging)
- Peptide biochemistry and protein-protein interactions
- High-throughput screening assays and drug development
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, neuroscience or related field
- Primary authorship of a peer-reviewed research paper
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative open-lab environment
- Innate curiosity
Applicants with experience working with two or more of the following will be preferred:
- Molecular techniques and protein assays (PCR, Western blot, etc.)
- Rodent surgery
- Proteomics / genomics studies
- In-vitro cell/tissue culture
- Confocal imaging
The candidate will also have the opportunity to collaborate with a growing group of neuroscience investigators examining the neurobiology of pain and opioid pharmacology across a variety of models using sophisticated imaging, molecular, analytical and behavioral analyses as part of the NIH funded Center of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) for the Study of Pain and Sensory Function. The candidate will have access to ample laboratory space and core facilities for histology and imaging, behavioral neurosciences and drug development.
Maine’s only medical school, UNECOM is located on the southern Maine coast, 90 minutes north of Boston.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Additional information can be found here.
Candidates should send a cover letter describing their research experience, future goals and a curriculum vitae to Dr. Benjamin Harrison.
UNE is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds.